Tuesday, August 3, 2010

2 heads are better than 1

so i've been thinking about private schools lately. i went to one, the same one zach attends, and i work at another one. i had no idea that when i started there 10 years ago this would be such a longterm relationship. and someplace i would so enjoy working at for this long a time. i also never thought i would have as many opinions as i do about schools, considering i do not have a degree in education. but my latest thought is about the business of being a school, not the education. 

it's much more of a business than when i attended school. back then there seemed to be less opportunities for money to make a statement and get in the way of the actual purpose of the school - educating children. i don't envy the head of any school - they have so much to balance. i think if schools plan to continue on this business path, and this seems quite likely, it might be time to restructure. what could the school of the near future look like? i don't think very different. with the cost of tuition consistently rising, heads of schools will continue to need to know more than just curriculum and managing people. 

it's not just because of the business aspect, there also seems to be a direct correlation between parent expectation and the rising cost of tuition. and then if you add in substantial gift-giving, the head of a school may find themselves faced with some difficult choices. the reality of being successful and strategic at fundraising and thoughtful and forward-thinking about curriculum is expecting a lot from one person. what a great opportunity to divide and conquer: 2 heads each leading the school. one strictly from the educational perspective and the other concerning themselves only with finance.

wwcd: i'm now wondering why my high school offered 17 languages when i attended and now is down to only 5

1 comment:

  1. from aunt judy:

    Today schools cannot exist without major contributions......education in the good ole USA has fallen so far behind. I am talking about public schools, not private......no more music education, no gyms, no art classes. what has happened? it really doesn't cost very much to fill the auditorium with classes of children, all grades, and introduce them to the classical music that became my backbone of my classical knowledge....till this day, I recall he beautiful music I was introduced to
    running laps, playing basketball in the gym.

    exercising.......the weight issue for our children is off the charts from lack of any physical challenges. the food in the cafeterias is shameful.....beyond shameful. the total lack of vegetables, fresh fruit, no wholesome anything - the children today are developing early stages of diabetes......early stages of childhood cancer.......when will this stop? when will the government step in and say enough is enough?

    I walked home everyday and had a lovely meal waiting for me, prepared by my grandmother...mom was working for the government...walked back to school...no car pools....we walked in the rain, the snow....no transportation....my legs transported me....rain or shine...that's what umbrellas are for...never gave it a thought....it was what it was.

    I was in my senior year at Brooklyn College, majoring in education...there was a major teacher shortage, and before getting our teachers certificate we were sent to a school in a terrible neighborhood..took the bus there, and my father picked me up after school. the area was quite dangerous. I always brought a loaf of bread, peanut butter and juices for the children in my class - they never had the opportunity to eat breakfast at home. the books I had available for lessons were all missing pages. nothing has changed and I was teaching in that school back in the early fifties. do up think anything in these schools have changed? I don't think so.

    ReplyDelete