Monday, March 28, 2011

no wings?


maybe i'm just nostalgic lately or maybe it was our recent flight to florida, but i've been thinking about how magical it was to travel when i was a child. i hate to be the bearer of bad news, but the magic is gone. not just a little gone, but all gone. while at laguardia last week, i saw a mom, dad and their 4 year old daughter looking haggard as they made their way through the terminal and couldn't help but remember how excited i used to get the minute we entered the airport. people dressed for travel and flying was an event, not a burden. pilots were dashing and exuded confidence. stewardesses dressed in colorful uniforms, smiled and were helpful. and i had a collection of airline pins, each one saying i had my wings to fly.

i understand we live in different times since 911 and i appreciate the idea behind strict security measures. what i don't understand is the arbitrary act of some security agents. as i said, zach and i were just in florida and our dog lucy came with us. it's insulting enough that i have to pay $200 for her round trip under-the-seat ticket, but guess what item stopped us at security? her prescription canned dog food. 

the tsa agent uttered the words you never want to hear, "please step to the side." he went through my carry on (no checked bags to delay us when we land) and he found 3 cans of lucy's food and looked at me as though i should have known better. he called over 2 other agents and they deliberated only to point out that water was the first ingredient and that made the dog food not permitted on board. seriously? my options were to throw it out or check my bag. not wanting a starving dog in florida, i opted for the latter. 

fast forward to our return flight and the 3 of us are once again faced with a tsa agent who is looking at me and not smiling. "please step to the side." again?! this time it was the small container of water that i was carrying for lucy to drink...though i did know better on this one and meant to fill it up after we went through security. zach went back through security to rid us of the offensive water. 

but here's the kicker: once home and unpacking, i was looking in my make-up bag for a lipstick (the same make-up bag that flew with me in the cabin to and from new york) and pulled out a metal pocket knife. all i felt were chills. 

wwcd:  forget the wings, i'm installing an x-ray machine in my house

3 comments:

  1. from aunt judy:
    For the first time.........I have no words.....I feel your frustration...I feel your disgust, I feel your OMG.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jilly and I just experienced the, "Oh-you're-flight's-been-canceled" look when we were checking in?!? Our 3:30p take off turned into an 11:45p one, and no, there was no call or email that I missed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember the wings! OMG I think had some up until just a few years ago. Wish I had kept them.

    All in the details, all in the details. Here they focus on the damn food, as opposed to going through your bag with loads of teeny tiny objects. . Buffoonery at the helm. Scary, indeed.

    Though, come to think of it, those cans could be lethal weapons if thrown with enough speed. :)

    s.

    ReplyDelete