Sunday, September 4, 2011

In memory everything seems to happen to music.*


I know I'm a creature of habit. As much as a new something or someone can be exciting, I find so much comfort in things and people I've known for a long time. I've worn the same perfume for 20 years...Annick Goutal's Gardenia Passion, and before that either Bal a Versailles or Lumiere. And every now and then, a little Jo Malone thrown in.

Stay with me. I'm bringing up these perfumes, not to show you how limited I am, but because in looking for something this weekend, I stumbled upon an unopened bottle of Lumiere. I sprayed it on and was immediately taken back to my 20s, on a plane to Paris and smelling this fragrance for the first time. It amazes me how scents and sounds produce such vivid memories.

Making out to The Who's Tommy or Jeff Beck's Blow by Blow...if I hear a song now from either, I'm brought right back to high school. I still get why Jeff Beck, but for the life of me cannot figure out why anyone would want to make out to Tommy. Pinball Wizard... maybe we skipped that one. Or, maybe it sounded different back then.

This Labor Day weekend was going to be mine alone, and even maybe a closet or two would get organized. It turned into one of book reading, TV watching and walking Lucy. I think I may have glanced in a closet and thought that it really didn't look so bad after all. I finally read The Help and watched several old movies. By old I mean the 80s. By the 80s I mean the ones with great music. You remember those.

Even though I'm trying to break myself of routines and glamorizing the past, the truth is I feel safe with what I know. But with fall right around the corner, I feel changes coming.

* Tennessee Williams

1 comment:

  1. "By the 80s I mean the ones with great music."
    That's interesting. I thought the era of great musical films came to a close in the 50s

    ReplyDelete