Monday, November 28, 2011

do the right thing

It's a bit unnerving how early college is discussed now in the life of a high school student. I don't remember even thinking about college until junior year. With all this talk happening earlier, there seems to be more opportunity to discuss what parents hope for their children and whom they hope the kids grow into as adults. I hear a lot about wanting the kids to be happy and successful adults who find a career they love. Nothing wrong with being happy and successful, or loving what you spend much of your time doing.

Not to minimize those dreams, but a few things feel like they're missing. What about being a good person? What about being the person who does the right thing? Over the weekend I was talking with my step-dad about the Sandusky molestations. We were both incredulous at the behavior of the assistant coach when he walked in on Sandusky raping a 10 year old. I recounted a conversation I had with Zach about what he should do if he ever walked in on that kind of a situation. I said you don't have to put yourself in danger, but you must do the right thing and get help immediately.

This touched such a nerve that I cried with my step-dad. I want Zach to be a happy and successful adult, but I believe with every fiber of my being that all of it will be meaningless unless you have values and a moral compass that leads you to making the choice to do the right thing. These are choices that come up frequently and most are not as life and death as what that assistant coach encountered, but each time you have a choice. Being proud of who you are and doing the right thing will make you a happy person.

No comments:

Post a Comment