Tuesday, December 21, 2010

dear nate

i don't remember how many years ago it was when i first saw you on oprah, but i remember thinking what a bundle of happiness and talent you possess. your sensitivity always came through with each person or family you shared your designs with. it always seemed that you wore your heart on your sleeve and didn't hide your happiness or sadness in a way that feels very familiar and comforting. 

i smiled along with you when a family loved their newly-designed home. you made my heart hurt when you appeared on oprah after you lost your partner in the tsunami. i do believe that everything in life happens for a reason and we sometimes never fully understand why, except that whatever happens changes us forever. and sometimes we're lucky if it makes us more sensitive.

what i enjoy so much now is watching you come into your own on your show. i love all of the different segments, but what feels so meaningful are the ones where you help those who are missing something in their life. whether it's a new bedroom, couch or holiday decorations, you've given them something more important than a thing, you've made a difference in their life. how special to be in a position to help many...and to set an example for so many more.

wwcd: it's really so easy to make a difference in someone's life

2 comments:

  1. from aunt judy:
    To have role or the smallest of contact in another persons life is monumental. I had such an experience the other day - I was going through the check out line in my supermarket when a very thin, weathered man approached me. Fe explained to me that he is a veteran, showed me his veteran card, and explained that he is not allowed to use his card for medicine. He could however buy food with it and asked if he could pay for my groceries, and I would give him cash for the cost of my groceries.

    People around me showed disdain and a look saying I shouldn't get involved. My reply was I would be very happy to help. I went through the line, he ran his card. The bill was $18, I gave him a twenty and told him to keep the change. The look on his face, the hand shake, the look of gratitude...was wonderful.

    My friends later all agreed it wasn't the right thing to do. "how did I know it was his card....how did I know he wasn't going to buy drugs?" My response was that I truly felt in my heart of hearts he was an honest man being denied certain human rights as a veteran. I watched him leave the store and head for the drug store. My friends with all the negative input said he was probably buying liquor.

    The look on his face said it all...we shook hands and I was very happy to be there to help. The checkout lady witnessed it all and I had a feeling she knew him and would have said something if it wasn't kosher.

    So, it takes so little to help a fellow human being when the situation arises. Everyone I told the story to felt I should not have gotten involved. I am thrilled I did andI would do it again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gratitude, in the form of appreciation, is a wonderful way to participate in the world, Casper. Generosity, regardless of motive or outcome, has its effects.
    These both seem like reflections of compassion... shining like the moon.

    ReplyDelete