Tuesday, April 17, 2012

I'll be right off


I think I'd be a very different mom if iPhones and Blackberries had been around when Zach was born. I had a cell phone 16 years ago, but I remember only using it for emergencies....meaning I never really used it. But now, I would just be distracted and would not give Zach my full attention.

Being home with Zach for his first 5 years, I loved watching and making silly faces at him in the stroller when he still faced me. Even when I turned him around and he faced the world, I would talk to him. I always talked to him.  Honestly, some of the best times I've spent with Zach have been walking down the street - without interruption. Sixteen years later I still feel the same way. Grabbing those moments on the way to school when you can just talk...about anything.

I see moms walking down the street, on playgrounds and in doctor's offices talking on the phone, answering emails and sending texts. They're definitely muli-tasking, but their children don't seem to be part of the equation. I wonder how the kids feel. Do they know they're being ignored? As they grow up, will they ever give their moms undivided attention or will they reciprocate with the same lack of attentiveness? What saddens me is if children don't fee like a priority, do they feel loved unconditionally or like they're playing second fiddle to a device?

PS - In fairness to moms, dads are just as guilty, if not more, but I hold us to higher standards.

1 comment:

  1. i have felt this same way, watching mom's pushing the stroller talking on their phones. the children hear their mothers' voices but not in conversation with them, always talking away away away from them. it is a piercing loss, in my opinion. what behavior must the child exhibit to get the mother's attention? i remember the moment when i answered my phone walking down a sidewalk and was immediately in a conversation with my sister. when i got off the phone my husband said, "does it even matter that i am here with you, walking down this street? can't you call her back?" He was a grown adult being totally eclipsed by the false urgent priority of the phone.

    ReplyDelete