Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Trayvon...and the truth

I remember many years ago - probably 25 or so - walking on Park Avenue with my brother.  We reached 71st Street and he was continuing up Park and I was going over to Lexington. After I said goodbye and turned to head down the block, I noticed a man on 71st Street and got a strange feeling. 25 years later I couldn't tell you what made me feel this way or what he looked like, but I decided not to walk down the block.  I said to my brother that it must be nice to be a man and not feel physically intimidated and not think about your personal safety the way women do sometimes.

Since first hearing about the Trayvon Martin murder, I've been outraged as a person who thinks we live in a civilized country. As a white mom of a 16 year old white teen, I'm stunned an innocent young man can be shot walking down a street. I worry about my son's safety, but I can't imagine being the mom of a black son and worrying about his safety with the additional element brought on because of his skin color.  Or clothing. As a woman I don't think I'd be afraid if I saw a person coming toward me wearing a hoody. I certainly wouldn't be afraid if I were a man. And if I had a gun, well, if I had gun, I'd only be afraid of something bigger than a gun.

I am afraid of injustice and double standards. I am afraid of the message that's being sent to black teens. I am afraid of the fear we've raised higher in the hearts of parents of black children.  I love our president for his ability to be empathic. I believe in my heart the truth will come out and an arrest will be made soon. I hope Trayvon's parents feel the support they have from many people of all colors in this country and around the world. And I hope this strength helps them through this horror.

No comments:

Post a Comment