Tuesday, April 20, 2010

i must be old

i don't want to sound like an old, judgmental person, but i'm walking down the street today and saw so many young people with piercings...through noses, eyebrows, lips, tongues, cheeks. and those are the visible ones. i couldn't help wonder what they were going to look like in 30 years when their skin's elasticity isn't quite the same.

don't get me wrong, i had 4 holes in one ear when i was 19, but 3 have since closed up. the holes are still visible, leaving behind some pretty funny memories. back then, i was quite good at piercing  friends' ears. a little ice to numb the lobe, an earring to push through. scotch was used too...either as an anesthetic or antiseptic. don't really remember that part.

fast forward all these years and now i'm a parent. the only rule i have about piercings, tattoos and the like for zach is nothing permanent until you're paying your own bills. so far, so good, but he's only 14. years ago, a friend passed along what i considered to be great advice: don't worry what length your son's hair is - it'll always grow or can be cut - just expect it to be shampooed. what a great analogy for life.

wwcd: so take chances, be different, maybe just nothing too permanent

1 comment:

  1. What does it mean that I want a small tatoo (where I can see it, no one else unless very close to me) and a few more small piercings in my ear(s), beyond the two regular ones I've had since I was 12 or 13 (when our grandmother promised all her grand daughters diamond earrings but only if we got our ears pierced, so that we wouldn't lose them.) Is is a middle age crisis. (I think I'm too old for middle age ...)If not, then what? Maybe just need to make a change that I control.

    ReplyDelete