Monday, February 13, 2012

Mikell's


Think about New York in the early 80s. Conjures up all sorts of memories, doesn't it? It was a pretty amazing time to be in your 20s. New York was still reeling from...54, Mudd Club and a whole bunch of other dance clubs. I don't remember when I stopped going, but at some point they were replaced with small clubs.

I spent a lot of time at a place on 97th and Columbus. Mikell's wasn't a big place, but it was a corner oasis. It had a big sound and left a strong impression on me. I made a few friends there, saw a lot of people perform there, and haven't thought about Mikell's since it closed in the early 90s. Not until this past weekend.

One of the strongest memories I have is the first time I heard a mother-daughter act sing Me and You Against the World and was blown away...goose bumps, tears and all. I remember hearing this song so many times after and always wondered how the daughter would eventually go on without the mom...and never thought it would be the other way around. Never.

2 comments:

  1. beautiful memory to honor the loss of the person and the voice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes that was a poignant moment before the world had more than a whisper of what was to come. I still tell of going down stairs to congratulate the duo and seeing Whitney as a Kid out of makeup playing arcade space invaders.

    ReplyDelete