Saturday, June 26, 2010

i don't want to die with my pride...

i know how hard it is for me to swallow my pride and give in or up when i believe in my heart i'm right. i also know that being right means nothing in the big picture. what is it about being right that makes people end friendships, marriages, family ties without trying harder? being right can't be the sole motivation. being right can't be that important.

or can it?

somewhere in my life i learned the lesson that compromise was how the majority of disagreements were resolved. give and take. there really isn't much of a difference if you're all right or just some right. and i'd rather be a little right without jeopardizing a relationship, careers and the future than being all right alone or out of work.

it's also about making more than one attempt at resolution and reconciliation. how many times do you make the effort before you've swallowed your pride? keeping your pride in tact isn't the goal either, mending the wrong is. i think pride has a way of rebuilding itself over time, unfortunately, relationships don't without a little help.

wwcd: just writing "swallow it" sounds harsh and a bit of a mis-message, but that in fact is what i would do

1 comment:

  1. From Aunt Judy:
    I absolutely hate knowing I am right, and unable to convince the person, or persons I am having this dialogue with. There is no way in hell, I back off, other than walking away...the magnitude of the frustration is off the charts...I hate stupidity, or someone's lack of knowledge concerning what we are discussing. I usually throw my hands up and walk away. I have never lost a friendship, but definitely have a reputation of someone that sticks to her guns...it is GREAT, when I am able to show, and prove to them I was right....it is not a case of winning an argument, it is trying to teach another person something they were not aware of, or believed in.

    I will however, recant, and with a smile say I was wrong if brought to my attention.......that doesn't happen very often. I don't usually get into a conversation, not a confrontation, unless I know what I am talking about.

    I am not cocky. or waving my flag...I love debating, I love strong conversation s with intelligent friends I know exactly who these friends are, and definitely avoid those I know are not capable of in-depth dialogue. I love these conversations. I always walk away learning something new.....what a great feeling that is. I have dictionaries all over the house.
    so dear friend, now u know why I love hearing from u.....keeps my brain working on all burners...........keep the mail coming....what a treat finding 3.

    ReplyDelete