Friday, January 1, 2010

controlling the uncontrollable

i love numbers and am fascinated with their coincidences. i was born on 7-7-59, turned 18 on 7-7-77 and then turned 48 on 7-7-07. i chose to have zach's bar mitzvah on 10-18-08 because it was a double chai and thought that would bring him double luck. and today is 01-01-10 - all those zeros and ones makes it feel like a new beginning.

i'm also a sucker for astrology. i love being a cancer, with all the traits of a cancerian, and many of my friends are cancers too. when i was in my teens and 20s, i poured over horoscopes, went to astrologers and would find significance in these messages. it would be easy to believe that something or someone planned my life and that should allow me to sit back and wait for life to come to me.

as an adult i don't relinquish control in my life, but somewhere in my brain i do feel as though some things in our life are already planned. the part we do control is how we decide to live our life. do we live with goodness in our heart? do we appreciate what we have? do we try to set a good example for our children and others? i completely believe that what you put out there comes back to you. the good and the bad. it may not be immediate, but eventually it does come around.

wwcd: on this first day of a new year and decade, i plan to put only the good out

2 comments:

  1. I, too, love the numbers -- just typing 2010 feels yummy. I'm still having trouble cutting it down to size in the 01/03/10 formula... but that's cool too. This is the year my youngest will turn 20 and my mother-in-law turns 90. And I'll be leaving the year of the double digits - in 2009 one son 22, me 55, father 88... all 33 years apart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i like the double digits! here's another one for you....until last year if you added the digits in my age it added up to zach's age -- when i was 49, he was 13. now that i'm 50, we add his digits. love this kind of stuff -- i was a math geek.

    ReplyDelete