Thursday, January 21, 2010

i'm no kirstie alley

or valerie bertinelli for that matter, but i've been thinking about the same 25 pounds for the last 10 years and still can't motivate to lose them. in the old days you could just drink a lot of coffee, smoke a lot of cigarettes, go to a couple of aerobics classes and lose 10 pounds in a week. well, those days have been long gone for a while. i know if i can psych myself into it i would succeed. i just can't seem to get my brain on board and my butt off the couch!

my step brother was just made vp marketing of jenny craig north america and i wonder if i could be a jenny craig success story. a little family motivation? i tried weight watchers and vividly remember the woman who ran the meeting plopping down on the table 10 pounds of fat from the butcher. ok, it was a very powerful visual, but so disgusting. what if i just continued eating the way i am and went to the gym a lot? but what kind of gym? spin? i'm totally intimidated. core fusion? done it, liked it, but it's so hard. stairs? so many parts of my body are already a little achy. kvetching doesn't burn calories, does it?

if i can quit smoking, which i did almost 7 years ago, i should be able to conquer anything. i keep saying that to myself and it's not making me feel invincible or motivating me either. maybe if i just pick a date in the near future as my start date, this would begin the process of psyching myself. that's what i did with cigarettes and it worked. i had to get to the point of hating cigarettes and having the stop date helped.

wwcd:  so now it's just which one - january 25, february 5 or president's weekend? 

5 comments:

  1. If you were able to stop smoking, you can do anything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll go with you to spin!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are far more sane than Kirstie Alley!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Recognizing my patterns and letting them go was key to my losing 20 lbs before I turned 50 and keeping it off now 6 years. I love food and know it is a delicious and life-long gift for myself, and so is doing yoga. Both of these can fit into my life any where I am, no matter how I feel - or what else I have to do in a day. The rotation diet helped me, and activity every day. I really wanted to lighten my footprint and realized that if this body is where I live, I really can treat it with the consideration and respect it deserves. (I also smoked way too much for way too long.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Who's the brave one taking me to spin class....email me!

    ReplyDelete