Thursday, January 7, 2010

my time out

too many meetings and too much coffee (iced of course) is what this week has been. i know it's the first week back and everyone is a bit anxious to get their projects underway, but my head is spinning. i had a very short half hour in my office this morning before the first of 4 meetings began with the last ending just before noon. i couldn't get out of the office for lunch fast enough.

my brain works fast and luckily i inherited the organized gene, but i like quiet time to think and reflect and osmose conversations and ideas. unfortunately, it's really too cold in ny right now for a walk in the park. so where do you find the quiet time? i used to have a 20-30 minute commute and now it's maybe 5 minutes, which is not enough time to decompress or think. and once home, well, the second shift begins.

it's thursday night and i'm promising myself to spend some very quiet time on both saturday and sunday. i need to spend this time re-evaluating how i'm spending my time. and why i feel i need to meet everyone else's needs - at work and personally - before i meet mine. and why i can't or don't say no.

wwcd: time to make time to re-prioritize my time 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, and identifying your own needs is a big help. Perhaps you are not really trying to meet everyone else's needs, but your own need to be useful and effective, to see yourself that way and feel competent. This you can definitely clarify and improve by giving yourself the cogitation-digestion time that helps you accomplish that better.

    I have found it important in my own life to resist the urge to fill the few minutes between things with a cup of coffee as if it was giving me a peaceful moment. I replace it with two minutes of closed eyes, breath awareness to ease the pressure of whatever is next. Two minutes.

    Release your shoulders. Let your chin move towards your chest and allow gravity to release your neck. Just two minutes to focus your mind on your breath.

    ReplyDelete