Sunday, June 3, 2012

Live A Good Life


Good is such an interesting word that is used in many ways. It can describe a measure of success on a school project, a Broadway play or the food in a restaurant. Good in these instances is just good, it's not great. It would equate to a letter grade B. Good, not great.

When you refer to someone as a good person, that good is more like great though. When I think of the person I'd like Zach to grow into...I'd like him to be a loving husband and father. I'd like him to find happiness and success in a relationship and in a career. I'd like him to have a passion to help others. But the first thing I always say when asked about my wish for Zach...I hope he continues to be a good person.

There is something so simple and pure about being good.

I heard the eulogy today for a person who epitomizes good. Her son gave a heart-wrenchingly beautiful tribute to his mom. He challenged us to honor his mom by letting her be the inspiration for us to be good people. Anne always had a smile on her face. And always had time to say hello and find out about your life. Her smile and warmth emitted pure joy. It's hard not to smile back and in that short time you breathe easier and relax and feel happy. There's no greater gift.

If you do nothing else in your life but inspire people to be good, that's a good life.

1 comment: