Wednesday, June 27, 2012

When We Met Nora


Harry: You realize of course that we could never be friends.
Sally: Why not?
Harry: What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.
Sally: That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
Harry: No you don't.
Sally: Yes I do.
Harry: You only think you do.
Sally: You say I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
Harry: No, what I'm saying is they all WANT to have sex with you.
Sally: They do not.
Harry: Do too.
Sally: How do you know?
Harry: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
Sally: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
Harry: No. You pretty much want to nail 'em too.

I vividly remember 1989 and seeing When Harry Met Sally. It was the year I turned 30. I had recently ended important relationship, well he had, and I was feeling pretty sorry for myself and this movie made me laugh.  When Harry Met Sally seemed like the story I shared with one of my oldest friends...a guy. The friendship didn't start in college, it was Studio 54. We didn't take any road trips, we danced. We watched each other date many different people, we flirted shamelessly with each other. I knew why his relationships never worked and he knew why mine didn't either. In 1989 we let a toe go over the line, but fear of putting our friendship in jeopardy pulled it back quickly.

A few years later, that movie kept me laughing during labor. My water broke at the rehearsal dinner of my best friend. Off to Mt. Sinai Hospital we went, only to be told we had a while to go and we should do our waiting at home. One of us believed the Lamaze coach who said sleep through the early part of labor. And one of us looked for a few movies to distract. I remember watching three movies, but can only remember two of them. Moonstruck and When Harry Met Sally. I laughed my way through every contraction to "Snap out of it" and "I'll have what she's having." I remember saving When Harry Met Sally for last, knowing the contractions would be worse and that it was the funniest of the three.

Nora Ephron has gotten me through some important times in my life. It is impossible not to enjoy the easy way she wrote.  I hope I Feel Bad About My Neck will be made into a movie in time for me to start feeling badly about mine. And I miss what she had yet to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment