Sunday, June 10, 2012

Thankyoupleaseyou'rewelcome


I'm done with people who don't have manners. I don't mean that I won't associate with them, I mean I'm done with accepting their rudeness.  I've always felt that New Yorkers get a bad rap and we're much kinder than people think. But after two unpleasant experiences in a short period of time, I'm beginning to wonder.

Let me start out by saying that I'm not here to teach manners, except to my son and he's pretty much done in that department. I have been known to say "thank you" a bit sarcastically when I've held the door open for someone who didn't acknowledge the gesture, but few days ago something snapped. As I was leaving for work a woman pushing a stroller was coming into the building where I live. The doorman was off to the side, so I held the door to make it easier for her. Without missing a beat, she walked by me not saying a word.  Really?

Before I tell you what I said to her, let me tell you the second unpleasant experience that occurred. I was in the restaurant on my block and was waiting to place an order to bring home. The gentlemen who usually helps me was helping someone else. I waited and while I waited I could hear what the woman ordered, but more important, I could hear how she ordered it. There was a lot of "I want that..." "Give me this..." "I need the..." She barked orders at the incredibly lovely man behind the counter who did nothing but accommodate her. As she finished up her transaction I still couldn't believe how she spoke to this nothing-but-helpful person. Really?

We all have our breaking point. We all have a time in our life when we say enough is enough (thank you Network). These two events pushed me to say more than I might typically.

To the stroller-pushing mom who walked through the door I was holding right passed me I said, "Unbelievable, are you really not going to say thank you?" To which she was completely confused and tried to unnecessarily hold the door for me. I looked at her and said, "Don't you say thank you when someone holds the door for you?" She was still looking dumbfounded as I left the building.

To the incredibly rude woman in the restaurant, as she was signing her credit card receipt, I said to the gentleman who had helped her, "I'm astonished at the lack of manners exhibited by some people." He smiled. She looked at me and proceeded to tell me how rude I was. Somehow I think she missed the point.

Trust me I'm not the Miss Manners Monitor or the Cape Crusader of Civility, but I know how hard people work and they should be appreciated and when people extend a courtesy it should be acknowledge.  OK, I'm getting off the soap box now.  Thank you for listening.

1 comment:

  1. I dunno...I think you'd look pretty fabulous in a cape!

    Heather

    ReplyDelete