Friday, December 11, 2009

he's at the dmv

if you're looking for god, he's at the dmv in harlem. if you've been following this blog, you'll know that i forgot to renew my drivers license. no, i did not receive the renewal by mail either. it expired in july and i realized it in october and it took me until today to go the the dmv office. there was much prodding by the son to motivate.

growing up in ny, the only dmv office was the one down by the court buildings. you'd get there first thing in the morning, get on line, fill out papers, get on another line, ugh that was the wrong line. and then find the right line, wait some more only to be met by a dmv worker obviously not enjoying their career path. you were easily looking at 2 hours of your morning wasted. then the dmv opened the xpress office on 34th and 8th avenue. by far a huge improvement, but still quite busy and not very convenient.

last night, in my rush to download forms and fill them out so i wouldn't have to do it at the dmv, i noticed the list of dmv offices in manhattan. 159 east 125th street. in old ny days i would have passed it right by in favor of west 34th street.  but now, harlem is the new "it" neighborhood. so this morning i got up, got all my papers together, hailed a cab at 8:25 and went to harlem. i was in the dmv for 20 minutes, 2 lines, a picture, and $50 later i am the proud owner of a new license. well, a temporary one until the offical one arrives by mail in 2 weeks.

wwcd: i was in my office at 9:05 - 40 minutes after trying something new  

4 comments:

  1. I am a HUGE proponent of 125th Street! No more Grand Central Station, no more DMV downtown....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your description of the downtown DMV is dead-on! Your phrase "dmv worker obviously not enjoying their career path" will stay in my head for a long, long time!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casper,
    Would you and God please accompany me as I update my license with my new suburban address? Three's Company.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No more DMV New York Downtown? Should I go to Ithaca instead?

    ReplyDelete